Tuesday, January 5, 2016

December NorAms

Right after my last post, I raced in a couple warm-up Super G races in Copper, Colorado before heading to Lake Louise. They actually turned out to be challenging FIS races, with a few world cup guys tossed in there. The first race, I thought I skied pretty well, and ended up finishing in 3rd place right behind my teammate Tanner Farrow. The second day I thought I skied decent, but was thoroughly surprised when I got to the finish and found out I had won! I ended up scoring the best Super G result of my life, and even finished .35 seconds in front of Austrian World Cup star, Klaus Kroell.

Right after the two Super G races in Copper, I hopped on a plane to Calgary, and competed in the Lake Louise Downhill races. These were my first Downhill races since I tore my ACL in the World Junior Championships 2 years ago. To be honest, I was pretty nervous and wasn’t expecting much. I finished out the series with an 18th place and a 20th place finish. I was happy with these results, but was more excited to head over to Panorama to compete in 2 GS races and a Super G. 

In the Super G, I had a handful of mistakes that added up to a 12th place finish. In the first GS race, I finished first run in 6th place, which set me up nicely for a shot at the podium. I knew I needed a solid second run to move up, so I took some risk and unfortunately, it didn’t work out. I made a few mistakes and ended up in 9th place. In the second GS race, I once again finished the first run in 6th place. I had the same mindset going into the second run, and again… it didn’t workout. I ended up having one big mistake that launched me out of the course. I then had to pull myself back into the gates. I knew I had blown my podium chances right when I got through the finish. I ended up 12th overall. Unfortunately, I never put two runs together without mistakes, but I know I am skiing well and am definitely ready for some more races!

I had a very nice, relaxing break in Massachusetts with my family and now I am in Park City, Utah for 2 FIS GS races. Right after the second race I will be jumping on a plane to Munich, Germany to compete in my first European Cup races of the year!



Podium picture of me and my teammate, Tanner Farrow. Klaus Kroell didn't show up to awards. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment