Friday, March 29, 2013

Nor-Am Finals and US Nationals

Nor-Am Finals Started 2 weeks ago in Nakiska, Alberta. The series kicked off with a Super-G in which I faired pretty well in. With a more-stacked Nor-Am field than normal, I was happy with my 13th place finish. The next day was Super-Combined, which at the time I was excited for. I started bib number 42, and had a mistake mid-way down the course and ended up 33rd after the Super-G portion. In the slalom, I straddled near the bottom of the course and completely twisted my ankle up the hill (on the ankle that has recently been operated on). Right when it happened I knew it wasn't going to feel great when I took it out of my boot. After I had a doctor look at it, and a long session of physical therapy, it was clear that it was not 100%. I made the decision of fighting through the pain the next 2 days strictly for Nor-Am Cup points (to stay in the top 15 seed for GS next year). I did just about as well as I could do in the GS's with a bum ankle, and it might pay off for the beginning of next year. With how much the ankle hurt, I decided to not race in the slaloms and save it for nationals.


GS at US Nationals (with the Pro-Am to the right)

Next up was US Nationals in Squaw Valley, California. The first race was GS, and I was confident that the ankle was ready to go with the 4 days of rest prior. Warming up on race day, I could feel the ankle not responding as precisely as normal, but good enough to race. In the start gate, I was trying to focus on my skiing and get my mind off the ankle, but, halfway down the course it gave up on me once again. Without being 100%, there was no chance of me even having a shot at a national title, and with that, my US Nationals was over. I was somewhat disappointed with how my Nor-Am Season and US Nationals ended, but injuries happen and you have to deal with them as best as possible. Squaw Valley put on an incredible show, and I am excited for nationals to return there next year! I have been doing physical therapy for the past week getting my ankle back up to speed to race in Mammoth Spring series.


Super nice day on Lake Tahoe!

No comments:

Post a Comment